Friday, March 4, 2011

Homemade Yogurt!



Yes, I made homemade yogurt last night too!  Isn't it pretty?  There are several different recipes out there for yogurt, I picked the "crockpot" version.  To me, this just sounded too easy. I mean, how can you just pour some milk in a crockpot, leave it alone for a while, add one ingredient, leave it alone again, and end up with yogurt?  You can!  Of course, if you want to flavor the yogurt you do have to add just a couple more steps and ingredients. 

Here's what I did:

Turn crockpot on low and pour in a half gallon of whole milk.

Heat on low for 2 hours and 30 minutes.

After the 2 hours and 30 minutes, turn crockpot off and unplug. Let the milk cool with the lid on for 3 hours.

After those 3 hours, remove 1-2 cups of the milk from crockpot and put in a bowl.  Add 1/2 cup of plain yogurt and mix well. (I used Dannon plain yogurt) The live cultures from the yogurt are needed, kind of like a starter.

Pour the yogurt/milk mixture back into the milk in the crockpot and mix well.

Put lid back on and cover enitre crockpot with bath towels to insulate.

Let set to culture overnight or 8-12 hours.

After 8-12 hours, stir and pour in glass jars in refrigerator.

Refrigerate 8 hours before serving for best texture.


OR for strawberry yogurt read on...

Blend or puree 2 cups of frozen strawberries. 

Add 1 1/2 cups Splenda or sugar to strawberries and blend.

Add to the strawberries/splenda to yogurt and blend well.

Then pour into glass jars.

Refrigerate 8 hours before serving for best texture.

(I couldn't wait 8 hours, so I stuck a bowl of the yogurt in the freezer and ate as soon as it started to freeze! Yummy!)


This post has been linked to Living Well Wednesdays at
Women Living Well















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie I love things like this. Thanks for posting it.

April Otte

Robin said...

I am going to have to try this! So far my yogurt-making has been a bit disastrous. Maybe this is the answer - thanks!

Deb said...

April - I know you have tons of ideas and recipes that I would enjoy. Feel free to share with the rest of us!

Delightfully yours,
Debbie

Deb said...

Robin - This recipe is pretty easy and I'm sure you'll have success with it! Let me know how it turns out - or send me a picture of your yogurt and I'll post it!

Delightfully yours,
Debbie