Friday, January 14, 2011

Let's Save Some $$$$ on Electricity!!!


Large View

How would you like to cut your electric bill down a little or how about a lot?!  I'm going to give you a list of things we've done to slash our bill in half.  Beware, some of these tips may seem a little extreme. But if you're serious about saving money and paying off debt, you have to be willing to do the extreme.  Maybe you want to try just a few of these tips at a time, you'll still see the difference on your next bill.

1.  Lightbulbs.
Does your Dad's voice saying "turn the lights off" still ring in your ear from childhood? Well, he was right. It does save electricity to turn the lights off when you leave a room.

And why does the light fixture in the kitchen have 5 - 60 watt bulbs in it? That's a lot of watts when maybe just 2 or 3 would light up the room just fine. I unscrew or take out a few bulbs and use only enough to light the room sufficiently. In fact, in one of our bathrooms the fixture has a place for 4 bulbs and we use only 1 -60 watt. 

2. Laundry.
Decrease or eliminate dryer use.  I hang-dry all my laundry.  When weather permits I use the clothesline that my hubby made.  When it's below 32 degrees or raining, I hang clothes in the house.  If you don't have a drying rack (which I don't)  use a couple broom/mop handles across a couple of chairs. I put the clothes on hangers and then hang them on the broom handles. (you're thinking this is one of the "extremes", right?) This is one of the biggest savers for us.  It's a little extra work, but worth it to me to save some dollar bills.

Wash in cold water. Simple. If something is really dirty, I pre-treat and soak. Cold water works just fine. That hot water heater gobbles up those watts.

3.  Phantom energy.
No, we don't have ghosts in our house. Phantom energy is the term used to describe the enegry used by items that are left plugged in when not in use.  For example, microwave, clocks, DVD player, and phone chargers.  Computers are guilty of using tons of electricity even when we're not using them.  Be sure to put your computer "to sleep" or shut it off when not in use. Just turning the monitor off will help conserve electricity. 

I unplug everything I can when it's not in use. This one annoys my hubby at times, like the time I forgot to plug the coffeemaker back in. (oops!)  But I can tell you firsthand, that this practice has made a dent in our electric bill. To think, I laughed at my Grandpa when he refused to use his Bunn coffeemaker because it made the meter turn! What a wise man?!

4.  Decrease TV use.
I'm not saying stop watching TV, but be aware of when the TV is on.  Sometimes, we turn it on out of habit and nobody is even watching a program. I was guilty of that. I would be home alone, maybe cleaning the house and the TV would be on. Why? It's not like I could hear it over the vacuum cleaner anyway.

5.  Decrease hairdryer use.
Like I said, these are some of the things I've done to cut our bill. I don't expect everyone to agree or want to do the same things.  I let my hair dry naturally whenever possible.  Good for my hair and my electric bill. Even my husband does this one, of course, he doesn't have a lot of hair to dry!

6.  Limit Air Conditioner use.
My kids grumble about this one.  We have been known not to use the AC until June and when we do turn it on, it stays set at around 80 degrees. We use the ceiling fans which take less energy.  Huge money saver. If you cannot do without the AC, then try raising the temperature a couple degrees, especially when you're not home.

7.  Lower the heat.
Okay, I grumble about this one.  We keep the heat set at 68 degrees when we're home and 60 when we leave the house.  If you get chilly, bundle up, get moving or drink some hot cocoa!

Also close off registers and rooms that are not in use. Make sure windows and doors are secure and there are no drafts.  Hang blankets over windows or doors that seem to let a lot of cold air in.  And remember what your Dad used to say..."close the door!"  

8.  Hot water heater.
Lower the temperature on the hot water heater. This makes a big difference on your bill but not your hot water. I've been known to shut ours off during the day when nobody is home. Trouble is, I forget to turn it back on and we all get cold showers in the morning. So, I suggest a timer on the hot water heater. Why heat water when it's not being used?

Another way to decrease the hot water usage is to decrease shower times.

9.  Charge phones, etc. in the car.
I read somewhere that this really helps use less electricity in the home. However, some dispute that this will increase the usage or wear/tear on your car battery. I've never had a problem with my car battery so I think I will continue to charge my stuff in the car.

10.  Green Night.
My 6 year old loves this one. His older siblings, not so much.  On occasion, we have a "green night" where we use minimal electricity.  We use kerosene lamps and candles for light. No computer. No TV. No ipod. No DS. No Wii.  (now you can see why the older sibling aren't fans)  We just eat snacks and play board games. (now you can see why the 6 year old likes it)

Again, I realize some of these tips may seem a little extreme, but I can assure you they make a difference on the electric bill.  The first year that we began practicing these tips we used about 5000 kwh less than the year before.  So we're saving about $500 a year just by paying attention to how we use our electricity!  That's an extra $42 in my pocket every month! I think it's worth the time and effort, what about you? It's turned into a game with me to see if I can "beat" our watts usage each month. I warned you, I tend to get a little weird when it comes to saving money!

This post is linked to Frugal Fridays at  "Life as a Mom".


Delightfully yours,
Debbie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We do these things. Our electric bill was less than $100 this month